First of all you must backup the databases of the instance(s) you want to upgrade.
- Make an estimation of the needed space for backuping you databases reading this article: http://www.arnaud-degraeve.com/backup-space-estimation/
- Backup your databases: http://www.arnaud-degraeve.com/instance-databases-backup/
SQL Server 2008R2 SP deployment
- Copy the sources in a local folder. Let’s say D:\Sources\SQL2K8\
- Create a file called sql2k8install.ini in the D:\Sources\SQL2K8\ folder. This file will contain described in the chapter C dans le chapitre Sql2k8install.ini file content
- In the Start menu, right click on Command, and click on Run as administrator
- Enter the right commands to reach the sources folder (D:\ then CD Sources)
- For SP1 enter the following command: SQLServer2008R2SP1-KB2528583-x64-ENU.exe /Action=Patch /IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms /ALLINSTANCES /QuietSimple
- For SP2, enter the following command: SQLServer2008R2SP2-KB2630458-x64-ENU.exe /Action=Patch /IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms /ALLINSTANCES /QuietSimple
How to chech to application of your service pack
After about 15mn by instance, you do not see any installation sign on your screen.
In order to check if your sp is correctly applied, you must connect to your SSMS and launch the following command:
You message returned should look like:
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP1) - 10.50.2500.0 (X64) Jun 17 2011 00:54:03 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7600: )
Determine the version of the service pack applied
- If the version number is 10.50.1600.1, then RTM version is applied
- If the version number is 10.50.2500.0, then SP1 is applied
- If the version number is 10.50.4000.0, then SP2 is applied
If you want more information about the builds corresponding to the number returned, please follow this link: http://sqlserverbuilds.blogspot.fr/
Second of all, you must check the details of installation and check for example if a reboot is needed to entirely apply the service pack.
Edit the content of C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\summary.txt in order to do that